Monday, July 11, 2016

Borders and ta da done



I went with the traditional baptist fan for the border,  my handi gadgets quilting templets were not big enough to fill the border so I stepped up close to a quilt that I had hand quilted a baptist fan in the border decades ago and counted 8 lines I could only do 6 with the templets.  Sometimes we need to remember the simple technology, my hand made and very accurate circle drawing compass.  Believe me this works much better than the kind we used in school.  Fold a piece of card stock in half lengthwise for strength  then mark one inch increments with a pin then use a big fat old darning needle to make bigger holes for your blue water soluble pen.  Stick a pin in the small hole on the end and hold it on the quilt, with the other hand stick the pen in the bigger hole and swing an arc and do it again and again until the border is marked then sew on the lines.  When you are all done sewing wash in cold tap water NO soap.   Heat will set the blue marks forever.  If you just spritz or sponge the blue goes into the batting and will come back to haunt you forever because detergent will turn it brown and it will resurface on the quilt in a warm bath.  I  would not leave a marked quilt near a heat source or in a hot car because those marks will be there forever.
And the finished quilt.............




I'm calling this Spinning Pinwheels. I am so please with quilting on this.  I went slow but I enjoyed every stitch and curve.  And isn't that what it all about enjoying the process.  --Ann--

4 comments:

Ramona said...

It's just beautiful! Your quilting is perfect for the design. It looks like an antique quilt. Thanks for the tips with the blue marking pens. I've never used those, but will remember what you said if I decide to try them.

Raewyn said...

Beautiful finish!!! Love the quilting you did and thank you for sharing how you did the outside border :-)

Joyful Quilter said...

Love it! It is such a cheerful quilt. Thanks for the baptist fan tutorial. Such a clever simple technique.

Vic in NH said...

Thank you, thank you, for the notes on marking and washing out the markings, too. Your home made tool looks very efficent and thrifty, both qualities that I love. As for the finished quilt, it is so charming and I learned a lot.