Wednesday, January 17, 2018

How do you sew blocks together?


How do you sew quilt blocks together?  A long time ago when I took my first quilting class the way to sew blocks together was to sew them all in rows and keep adding rows until all the blocks were connected by a thread. Then sew the horizontal rows, handling all 63 blocks for each seam.  It was  like dealing with 6 clotheslines full of clothes with all the gaps between the horizontal rows. It worked but the gaps would get caught on the corner of the table or the arm or the chair.  Very cumbersome.  Now I sew 2 or 3 rows of blocks together vertically then horizontally for this quilt it was 3  sections of 21 quilt blocks.  It was so much easier sewing a section of 21 to 21 to 21 so I wasn't handling all 63 blocks until the last seam. Look at that there is sunlight coming in the window!! but its still close to 0 outside.   --Ann--

2 comments:

Ramona said...

I sew my quilts together in the same way, unless the blocks are set on point. Then I do sew row by row. If it's a smaller quilt, I'll web the whole thing and then sew the rows. This quilt is going to be a beauty!

Judy S. said...

Love that quilt!