Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Giant step backward

Just 2 weeks ago I posted about so many finishes and well Murphy's Law strikes again.  If it can go wrong it will go wrong.  I felt so smart about finishing the heels of these socks and was starting up the leg and thought I should try them on  they were too short, cramped toes are not comfortable.  Rip back and count how many stitches were on the gusset side, 48 what was I thinking I need at least 54 if not 56 before starting the short rows then the slip stitched heel.  I must have been counting by 4s and skipped a few.
I fnished this sweater and have washed and dried it twice hoping it would shrink some, the neck and shoulders are too wide and the underarm hangs too low, its about at the bottom of my bra and the top of the sleeve puffs up, if it were wool I would steam out the puff with a puff of steam but its cotton, linen and nettle.  I like the detail on the sleeves the same rouching in in the side seams and I like the fit through the hips.  I purposely didn't weave in the yarn ends thinking I would be ripping.  Thank goodnes yarn is so forgiving on the up side I have shrunk the yarn so when I knit this again it will fit as I knit and I will use a pattern that I know fits.
I have sat outside and read or knit the last couple days as the weather has been perfect not too hot or windy and the humidity has gone elsewhere.  Absolutely perfect then I remember how quickly I burn so not outside as long as I would wish.

I started this sweater twice I wasn't using row count markers so I did the wrong number of increases after about 3 inches of knitting.  My row markers are in place along with a marker for the increase rows.  Count the loops in the row marker and add 2 thats how many stitches between increases.  If I had just walked up the stairs to get the markers when I started it...............
still working on the shawls for son's fiance almost done with #5 and one more to go.  Not going to rush the finishes.  --Ann--

1 comment:

Ramona said...

Yarn is so forgiving. It's too bad that fabric isn't at all. It's discouraging when you've spent all of the time knitting something to then have to rip it out. You will end up with something beautiful, though!