Friday, April 28, 2023

Fly over


South Dakota is a fly over state. One day last winter when we went to see the little girls I went outside and looked up there were 17 vapor lines in the sky from planes and jets.  There were also a few geese in the sky. On the way home from our last visit there were v’s and strings of geese scattered across the sky like the threads on my design wall. We saw a couple fields covered with Sand Hill Cranes, and snow geese were landing in pastures further down the road.They come like a tornado dropping in elevation as they circle, thousands of geese. We also saw a couple swans on a prairie slough and pelicans and hundreds of ducks on some small lakes.  A murration or two of blackbirds, they move like the calligraphy of a broad edge pen. Some blackbirds were roosting in the bare trees of an abandoned farmstead it looked like a scene from a Hitchcock movie.  Cruising down the road at 70mph I didn’t even try to get a picture of the flocks flying overhead.  What more might I have seen if I wasn’t knitting.  It’s a 4 hour drive I can knit while hubby drives…….Ann

No comments: