Thursday, April 30, 2020

Reading list #2

  1. The Bitterroots by C. J. Box Cassie Dewell private investigator 
  2. The Last One Home by Debbie Macomber romantic fluff about someone living a normal life, she can go places without thinking about covid19. It’s really about a woman starting over after escaping an abusive husband.  Book 1
  3. A Girls Guide to Moving On by Debbie Macomber  Book 2
  4. As Bright as Heaven by Susan Meissner very slow reading in the beginning then it picked up, about flu epidemic in 1918 takes place in Philadelphia, Pa.  The story is written in first person by 4 different people so could be hard to follow, I had to check back to the name at the beginning of each chapter to know who was telling the story.
  5. The Vanishing Hitchhiker: American Urban Legends by Jan Harold Brunvand, written by a college professor who teaches classes about urban legends, modern folklore and researches the stories we told around the campfire in our youth. Amusing.
  6. Pale Rider by Laura Spinney non fiction all encompassing history of epidemics, pandemics and plagues and specifically the Spanish flu of 1918. Survivors washed their hands, covered their mouth and kept their distance kinda like what we are going through now.
  7. The Indigo Girl by Natasha Boyd. Historical fiction about the production of indigo in South Carolina pre revolutionary war. Liza Lucas Pinkney was the woman responsible for the indigo trade in colonial America.
  8. The Great Quake by Henry Fountain non fiction about the 1964 earthquake in Alaska. I was 8 years old when that happened and I can remember the news reports so clearly. Very interesting to read and a lot of earth science.
My South Africa indigos, I only have fat 1/8 yard cuts and a couple I cut and used in a quilt several years ago.  They are a much brighter blue than of indigos I used in the 9 patch/puss in the corner quilt.  I'm still trying to figure out how to use these fabrics.  The backs of some are stamped by the manufacturer.   I wish I could use both sides of the fabric.  --Ann--

3 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Thanks, Ann, for the reading list. I love those Indigos too, I have a few treasured ones that I had collected over the years and have been eeeking them out. I used a few remaining scraps of them in the flag quilt that's currently on my longarm. Stay safe~

Ramona said...

There are some interesting sounding books on your list. I'm currently listening to a book that is a sequel. Book 1 took 31 hours, book 2 is 26. It's sure keeping me company while sewing. I love the Schweschwe fabric... the South African indigo. I had a friend from there who brought me some and have found a few pieces elsewhere over the years. It has a very distinct odor to it, from the dye used, I think. The stamps on the back show that it's legally made. The stamps are so interesting, too. Why can't you use both sides? I've used the back of fabrics as the front before.

cityquilter grace said...

i read 'bitterroots' and it was good...and indigo girl is on my list....lovely indigos...