Wednesday, April 8, 2020

summer day

 The last 2 days have been too nice to spend much time in the sewing room.  I sat on the deck and rolled up my pant legs,  I went for a walk,  I sat on the deck, I went for another walk.
I sewed a few yards of ties for masks. One of these days we will be required to wear a mask to the grocery store.
Since elastic is in short supply......... and I used all of my twill tape for ties.  How can I make this easier and stretch the materials?  I sewed 4 little loops of elastic to the corners of the mask then sewed the ear loop to the elastic.   I could just sew one loop of elastic on each side.......it still has enough stretch to be comfortable.        
The original pattern has a wire sewn into the bias binding and also needed 82 inches of bias binding for each mask.  Pressing the bias into bias binding was painstakingly slow. I cut a pile of bias scraps in half lengthwise then folded it as I sewed with the serpentine sitich. Easier and no burnt fingers.  
I just sewed around the wire for the nose.
--Ann--


1 comment:

Beth in NH said...

What a great idea for the elastic...just using a small piece. Thanks for the idea.