Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Sun room

 

I sat there in the sunroom drinking my coffee as I do most mornings even though it’s not the sunroom until afternoon. A purple finch, the kind with the rosy pink head, landed on the deck rail he tipped his head to me and we studied each other for a while. He learned all he cared to then flew away. Three robins perched in the locust tree discussing the best place to pick up chicks. That doesn't sound politically correct, should I say looking for a mrs.? That sounds equally incorrect. Maybe they were dicussing real estate.  A junco flitted in and out of the spruce tree. The robins left only to be replaced by a few black birds, they stretched their wings then positioned themselves all facing in the same direction. And flew away. Two cardinals came and sang a wooing song, she was not impressed the way she shooed him away.  A few crows flew over one circled then followed the others to the grain elevators to the west. More blackbirds came and went. A lone mourning dove sat for a while with feathers puffed out, I love their gentle cooing. So peaceful compared to the larger invasive dove that is almost as large as a laying hen, with it’s coarse raspy call that sounds like it spent the night in a bar smoking and drinking cheap booze.  And then my coffee was cold so I reheat it and knit a couple rows. --Ann--

watercolor courtesty of an app

No comments: