Thursday, January 16, 2020

End of the saga



These books were supposed to last me all winter but once I started reading I couldn’t stop. There was snow, a good day to read, then there was wind, a good day to read, then it was just plain cold, a good day to read. I got so wrapped up, not just in a quilt, but with the characters and story that I would go to bed wondering what they would do tomorrow.

More adventures and misadventures for Ross always the good guy fighting for the underdog,   Demelza  holding down Nampara while he is away. They are still the hot couple in Cornwall,  their children are growing up, getting into scrapes, romances, and heart breaks.  George Warlaggen still caring only for himself while butting heads with everyone, he does remarry to a beautiful woman who loves to spend his money. Georges relationship with son, Valentine, is strained as Valentine gets more irresponsible and eccentric. Dwight Enys,  the country doctor,  tending the poor and the wealthy while keeping their secrets.  England is dealing with repercussions of the French Revolution and the Napolonic Wars.  Steam power has come and is pumping water from the lower levels of the mines.  Social and economic change is creeping across the country.

Winston Graham’s Poldark books: Ross Poldark, Demelza, Jeremy Poldark, Warlaggen,  The Black Moon, The Four Swans, The Angry Tide, The Stranger from the Sea, The Miller’s Dance,  The Loving Cup, The Twisted Sword, Bella Poldark.  The first book was written in 1945 and the last book in 2002.  Winston Graham died in 2003 at age 95.

I finished the last book on Saturday and I’m still wondering what they will do next, their youngest is just a boy and they have a grandchild. Ross has a title, well earned for his service to the Crown and Parliament making Demelza a Lady.

Some stories are limited to the pages of the book, when I close the book I’m done. Not so with these books Winston Graham has created a world and an era by bringing real events and people into the story but also by including small characters and local events which add so much to the depth of the story.  Each book left me wanting to know more and sad that I came to the end.  I guess it’s time to get back to my life in the present. More cold, snow and wind.  ~~Ann~~

1 comment:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Are you watching the Poldark series on PBS? I have watched quite a lot of it.