Friday, December 9, 2016
Wednesday, December 7, 2016
A very productive day in the sewing room yesterday, half the blocks sewn. I sewed one block at a time so I could keep each set of eight triangles together. A little slower going but I was enjoying the process. No two blocks are the same so far, just like turning a kalidescope.
I remember my mother making a kalidescope for me when I was a little girl. I kinda remember begging for one I saw in the five and dime store and not getting it but she made one that was so much better. She had some narrow strips of mirrors but I remember them being dark and not at all like a real mirror. Anyway she taped these three long mirrors into a triangle then slid them into a sturdy cardboard tube that was exactly the right size because the long triangle did not rattle around, then she fastened a circle of stiff plastic inside the tube and we put some sequins and other little trinkets in and topped the end off with another piece of plastic that she scuffed up with steel wool so it was translucent. She cut an eye hole in a piece of cardboard and taped it to the other end. Light could get in but it was cloudy enough that I couldn't see things around the house. It was better than a store bought kalidescope and it kept me busy for hours, she made another one for my brother because she knew we would fight over it. My kids even played with it.
Tuesday, December 6, 2016
I need to work on something new. This stack and whack project has experienced three moves so it is time!! Everything was bundled together; the cut stack and whack triangles, the background fabric, sashing fabric and even fabric for the backing. Everything except the book which is no where to be found anywhere. I can figure this out! How did our grandmothers quilt!?! They didn't have all the books we do now. The background triangle needs to be the same size as the focus fabric plus whatever that measurement is you add to cut the square into 4 so you have straight grain on the outside edge. Its easier to put the 4 triangles into a square and measure across. 7 and 5/8. Round it up because its easier to trim than try to stretch the blocks to fit so cut 7 3/4 inch squares. Then sew those triangles together and figure out the short strip. It needs to be 2 1/2 inches wide and the short side needs to be 4 1/2 inches. Perfect!!! now to sew the rest of the blocks.
I don't think I have ever made a quilt with this few fabrics which is probably why it has sat for so long. I have a red fabric to use for sashing, the cardinal fabric will be for borders and the focus fabric for setting triangles.
Our snow is gone again, there is a cold wind blowing from the north its a good day to sew. --Ann--
Friday, December 2, 2016
back door, purl side door and knitting the yarn over became front door. Back door, side door, front door, back door, side door, front door, back, side, front, try all the doors, back, side, front was easier to remember than ptbl, p1, k1. Then row 3 became sneak in the back for ktbl, 2 at a time for k2tog, and jump for a yarn over. Row 4 after the first back door stitch was go around the other way front door, side door and back door. And Row 1 sneak in the back, jump, 2 at a time and sneak in the back, jump, 2 at a time....... The scarf is finished and now I need my winter coat instead of this lightweight between seasons jacket. Super secret projects on the needles. --Ann-- linking to Judy's OTN
Wednesday, November 30, 2016
I finished putting this together with our first snow over a week ago. I'm ready for some brighter colors. --Ann--
Thursday, November 24, 2016
Friday, November 18, 2016
Iceland today, it feels so good. I finished another Baa-ble stocking hat and my reading mitts so I started a scarf to match the pattern is Different Breeze. I will knit until I run out of yarn. Its a good day to knit. Linking to Judy's OTN --Ann--