Thursday, September 22, 2022

Reading list #4



The first blush of autumn on the maple leaves. Looking forward to cooler days.

  1. The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michelle Richardson depression era Kentucky and the pack horse librarians and a rare blood disorder.
  2. Die In the Wool by Katherine Hayton Murder mystery and a yarn shop just for fun and very short, fewer than 200 pages.
  3. The Venice Sketchbook by Rhys Bowen about an English girl who is studying art in Venice WW2 era and her modern day great niece who inherited the great aunts sketches and 3 keys.
  4. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg. For book club after the last couple books which were sad and tough to read it was my turn to pick a book so I checked out all the Fannie Flagg books from the library because we needed something fun and uplifting. This was the only Fannie Flagg book that I had not read. The movie followed it very closely but there were parts that were left out of the movie. The book was wonderful and I still love the movie.
  5. A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg re read for book club feel good story everything works out for the best for everyone. The second time I read the book and as good the second time as the first.
  6. NDearly Departed in Deadwood by Ann Charles book 1 of series I saw this series in a shop when DD and I were in the Black Hills in July it was fun to read because the setting in the Northern Black Hills was familiar but three green eyed characters in the book? Really!?! I asked the assistant at the eye doctors how many green eyed patients they see in a month…..she said one or two a year.
  7. Can’t Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg second time for this book but I had completely forgotten most of it so was like reading it for the first time, a real treat.
  8. Signal Moon by Kate Quinn a short story WW 2 Wren listening to radio transmission and a futuristic twist.
  9. Jamaica Inn by Daphne DuMaurier I read this many years ago so long ago that I remembered none of the story but when one character appeared I knew he would be the worst villain but I had no idea how until the end.
  10. Carnegie’s Maid by Marie Benedict fiction about an Irish immigrant who is hired to be ladies maid to Andrew Carnegie’s mother self educated and inspiration to Carnegie’s public libraries.  Very good
  11. Growing Wild in the Shade by Jean Grainger contemporary story mostly ordinary life with some vandalism and drugs at the end. I like her historical novels much much more. Fortunately it was short, 250 pages and I skipped over wardrobe choices, dinner fare, and some conversations. 
  12. The Messy Lives of Book People by Phaedra Patrick absolutely delightful about a writer who is in a slump with her latest book and her cleaning lady, about reaching for dreams and aspirations lots of twists and surprises. Wonderful fresh story.
  13. Educated by Tara Westover for book club non fiction. I read this 2 years ago the few parts I remembered were so trivial in the storyline it was like reading the story for the first time. I also had the book mixed up with Unfollow by Megan Phelps Roper  about leaving the Westboro Church. Once I separated the books in my head everything made sense. There are a lot of similarities in the two books. Westover and Westboro, those two words are an awful lot alike, two young women with questions about how they were raised and learning to think for themselves, leaving their family but still loving them. It was a good discussion at book club.
  14. Poirot  Investigates by Agatha Christie a book of short stories.

1 comment:

Ramona said...

There are several books on this list that I've read and several that I'd like to read. Thanks!