Thursday, September 8, 2011

Squash Blossoms

I picked squash blossoms to sketch just for fun.

I have eaten enough zucchini and summer sqaush for the year so a few flowers won't be missed.

I never really looked at all the texture on a squash blossom before its very rough or crinkley like old fashioned crepe paper and there are little hairs leading to the trumpet tube to capture the pollen.

I thought the vines were done producing for the summer then we get a little more rain and they start all over again.



My favorite way to cook either zucchini or summer squash is to slice thin and saute in olive oil with garlic, onion and mushrooms then season generously with Italian seasonings from a grinder.

Squash blossom quilt made with all plaids and stripes.



Back side of the quilt
I'll savor the summer memories wrapped in my quilt.

No comments: