Friday, October 18, 2013

On the Needles

I started my sweater last week and couldn't put it down, it  knit fast on size 9 (5.5mm) needles. It is not striping the way I imagined it would with rows of  each color separated by a couple rows of grey. I thought I could knit to the next color change break the yarn and pull off yarn until I got to the same color, splice and knit some more, knit grey then pick up another color. I would have yards and yards of yarn strewn throughout the house looking for the right color match. Then have all these little balls of color. I'm glad I thought through that scenario in my head. My stripes don't match across since I am knitting from the yoke down but they wouldn't match if I were knitting the front and back separate either. Some color changes are long and some are short. The stripes in the sleeves won't match either.
I have made a little progress on the socks. I am going to increase one more time on the camo socks for son to accommodate his calves then start the ribbing and knit until the yarn is gone. I'm working on the leg of the blue green socks and after DD finished her mittens she started on socks. She is working on a mini practice pair, I started the orangey toes then gave them to her to knit the last 2 row of increases before the plain knit. Her stitches got really big so I will tink for her then let her knit again. Just trying to keep the frustration level low. That is sorta how my mother taught me to sew, she would pin everything for me and sometimes baste to make it easy for me to sew and if I messed up she would rip, keeping my frustration level low and saving the garment. Cooler days and warm knits.........check out On the Needles at Judy's  --Ann--

3 comments:

Prairie St. Quilts said...

Your projects look great - two at a time, toe up is my next skill to learn.

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

I like the stripes on your sweater. Great progress!

Paula, the quilter said...

I've been working on a sweater since Sept 27, but on size US 4 needles. Almost done.