Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Favorite Quilting Books

Monday I wrote that I refer to my favorite books when I start a new quilt so I thought I would share those books with my readers.
  • The Art of Classic Quiltmaking by Harriet Hargrave and Sharyn Craig This book covers how to choose fabrics if you are going for a particular look when the fabrics from the original quilt are no longer available. It covers all the basic techniques of sewing a quilt including drafting blocks and it has wonderful examples of traditional quilts and lots of variations.
  • Sensational Scrap Quilts by Darra Duffy Williamson a lot of wonderful information on how to make a successful scrap quilt. She taught me how to control my fabrics in a scrap quilt.
  • Color for Quilters by Susan Richardson McKelvey This was the first book on color and fabric that I read when I started quilting. She talks about color, texture, scale, busyness, mood, and much more that a quilter needs to learn when combining fabrics into a quilt.  I majored in art, this book was a real eye opener for me.
  • Quilts, Quilts!! Quilts!!! the Complete Guide to Quiltmaking by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes This book covers all the basics of quilt making with some fabulous patterns and published before there were a lot of acrylic templates and rulers available.
  • Scrap Quilts The Art of Making Do by Roberta Horton, lots of great information for scrap quilts and mixing things up.
  • Great Sets by Sharyn Craig wonderful ideas for setting blocks together. I like all the books by Sharyn Craig.
These are my favorites for traditional looking scrap quilts.  --Ann--

No comments: