My favorite quilt design books:
- Skillbuilder Mastery for Quilting by Machine and Machine Quilting Design Builder by Renae Allen lots of ideas for quilting various blocks, setting squares and triangles and borders Great book if you want to show off the components of a block, sashing and borders.
- Quilting Possibilites freehand filler patterns by Sue Patten variations of designs to fill a variety of blocks
- 250 Continuous Line Quilting Designs by Laura Lee Fritz lots of pictorial and theme designs
- Quilting Makes the Quilt by Lee Cleland There are 10 quilts in the book she has sewn 6 of each and quilted them 6 different ways, some traditional, some edge to edge designs, some very contemporary, her book really shows how the quilting can enhance the piecing or over power it.
- Freemotion Quilting by Judy Woodworth basic how to's for contemporary and traditional designs also how to use templates, and information on thread, tension and batting.
- One Line at a Time by Charlotte Warr Anderson how to mark a quilt and make templates for geometric designs. I might try these on a very small quilt to fill in the background.
- Heirloom Machine Quilting a Comprehensive Guide to Hand-Quilted Effects Using Your Sewing Machine by Harriet Hargrave the title says it all, lots of thorough information on turning your quilt top into a quilt.
- Encyclopedia of Designs for Quilting by Phyllis D. Miller how to for a wide variety of designs for hand quilting but adaptable to machine quilting.
- Quilting with Style Principles for Great Pattern Design by Qwen Mortenson and Joe Cunningham also a wide variety of designs and how to mark a quilt for geometrics, cables, fans, feathers etc for hand quilting but also adaptable to machine quilting.