Friday, October 20, 2017

Michelangelo

Pieta  St. Peter's Basilica Vatican City  1498-1500
Tomb of Pope Julius II  San Pietro in Vincoli, Rome  1505-1545
top and center of tomb
Moses San Pietro in Vincoli, Rome 1513-1542

Rachel and Leah San Pietro in Vincoli, Rome  1542
David  Accademia in Florence 1501-1504  he looks pretty good for being 513 years old!

I was on a quest this trip to see as much of Michelangelo's work as possible. We saw The Four Unfinished Captives at Accademia. We also went to the Sistine Chapel and saw the Ceiling and his Last Judgment but photos are prohibited because lights and flash will fade the pigments.  I'm so glad I reread The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone,  I saw his work differently than I did 3 years go, more emotional and a bigger feeling of awe when I put everything into perspective of the culture, politics, religion and living conditions of the time and Michelangelo was only 24 when he carved the Pieta.  --Ann--

1 comment:

Ramona said...

It's amazing how beautiful those works are in person. I, too, was in the Sistine Chapel a few years ago and I was just in awe. I couldn't help but think about who had walked those grounds so many years ago when we were going through Rome.