Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Erin Quilts VII




 Erin's Fish and Aquarium  When Erin was 3 I took a sampler class with the intention of making a pastel quilt for her big bed. As I was looking at the pinks and yellows she was tugging on an Alexander Henry print with tropical fish. I finally said what about these fish!??!! She completely pushed me out of my comfort zone. I learned about using orange in this quilt. I love orange now. A little orange goes a long way but it is like turning the lights on in a quilt. With the left overs I made the attic windows quilt my philosophy at the time was why buy a little fabric when you can buy a whole bunch. The red sashing is the back of the feather fabric I used up in the August color challenge quilt. Why did I buy so much of that? I was using the folded accent strip in the border back in 1995  I was free motion quilting back then on my Elna, I did a lot of stitching in the ditch I quilted around each of the fish in the borders.  I learned many techniques in the sampler class, curved piecing, Y seams, hand applique, and formulas for triangles.  Wow I mitered a lot of corners for both these quilts. --Ann--


No comments: