Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Reading

I have been drawing a blank lately on blogging posts and pics to compliment the words. Its not that I haven't been busy with things but just not blog topic things. Some days, weeks are like that. It continues to be good weather for reading with rain, wind even snow at times. The fireplace is cozy and so are my quilts. My late winter/spring reading:
  1. The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
  2. Buffalo for Broken Heart by Dan O'Brien for book club set in South Dakota non fiction
  3. Philomena by Martin Sixsmith I watched the movie on my kindle recently, I liked the movie better than the book because the movie is about Philomena's search for her son. The book has a few chapters about Philomena but is mostly about the son, his feelings of abandonment, unworthiness of being loved and his life style.
  4. The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks 
  5. The Color of Water James McBride for book club non fiction
  6. Wish You Well  David Baldacci for book club This is a story about two children who are being raised by their great-grandmother in the mountains of Virginia, it takes place in the 1940's.
  7. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis because it is referenced so frequently
  8. Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
  9. Funeral Food by Kathleen Taylor South Dakota author who also writes knitting books

    The book Wish You Well made me think of this tablecloth and apron of my grandmother's. The border on the tablecloth is so cheerful it is stitched to a dish towel, the kind that gets soft with use and really soaks up the water, and has another dish towel for the backing. I imagined Louisa in the story wearing an apron like this. I love the black stitches. Keeping busy while waiting for sunny warm days--Ann--

1 comment:

Judy S. said...

Interesting booklist! That's a pretty apron. Is that chicken scratch embroidery on it?