Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Twice the fun

 

Will I ever get the gauge right!??!! Everything was going along swimmingly until I tried it on! An oversized sweater on a slender young person looks cute. On a middle aged averaged sized American woman it just looks bulky, makes me look bulkier.  I have been stewing over this for days, where did I go wrong with the gauge. It was spot on when I started but I must  knit tighter when shaping the shoulders than when I start knitting in the round, I relax and my stitches gradually relax and get a little bigger. My 22 stitches on 4 inches are now covering 4 1/4 inches making the sweater over 3 inches wider than it should be. I knit a new swatch and blocked it, it shrank 1/4 inch in length but not in width hmmmm still going to look frumpy. The sleeve needs to be tapered more so I need to decrease more frequently. I spent way too much on this yarn for it to hang in my closet unloved and unworn. I do like the feel of this yarn in my hands so ripping and starting over will make it twice the fun. ~~Ann~~

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I know we all have our own ideas of what looks good on our own bodies but this is just to say, I think the sweater looks fabulous as it is. Warm, comfortable, cuddly even. That said, I think you should do what will make you feel comfortable wearing it. How wonderful that you can knit a sweater and even alter a pattern to make it to fit!

Judy S. said...

It looks good to me, too. Pretty yarn/color!

Ramona said...

I agree with the other two comments... it looks so nice, but you need to like it. As slow as I am at knitting, I'd be so sad to start over, but you are a speedy knitter and will have it done in no time.