Monday, March 9, 2015

Where Did I Go??

Where did I go??  Some hints................
the coffee was fantastic.

the wine and pizza was even better.........

My last post left you guessing where I was going from the settings of my recent reading list. I matched the setting to the book in the comment section of that post for those with the need to know.

Hubby and I had been to Minnesota to visit a niece and watch hockey in early February,  she had just booked tickets and didn't want to travel that far by herself.  I couldn't come up with a reason not to go with her so the next morning I booked the same flights.

I went to Florence, Italy with my niece to visit her daughter who is studying abroad for the semester. Florence is the setting of Inferno by Dan Brown.  When I read the book I had no idea that I would ever visit any of the places he described.  Sometimes everything falls into place.
The art and architecture took my breath away.
The Cathedral of Florence, aka Santa Maria del Fiore, aka Duomo, aka Dome


Building the dome was an engineering feat of the day. Brunelleschi not only figured out how to build the dome, it was to be taller and wider than any previous dome, he also had to invent and built the machines powered by oxen to construct it.  Ross King wrote Brunelleschi"s Dome How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture.  It is magnificent. No building can be built taller than the Duomo in Florence.
The twenty-four hour clock that runs counterclockwise from 1443.

Michelangelo's David and his unfinished works that look like they are trying to escape from the marble. We saw hundreds of nude sculptures and paintings and even found a couple with clothes.
We posed on the way up the walk to the Piazzale Michelangelo for a view of Florence, the statue with the little dog is at the Boboli Gardens.
 Trying to get from point a to point b, if all else is failing take a picture of the map.  A winery  tour tomorrow.--Ann--



No comments: