Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Bow Tie Blocks

I have been cutting and cutting and cutting strips of fabric for a couple different quilts.  Now I am sewing, sewing and sewing.  And its a good day to sew as temps have dropped to real fall temps and the wind is blowing from the north.  A good day to stay in and sew and I'll share my method for sewing bow ties.

 Cut 4 inch strips into 4 inch squares and cut one corner off using  the easy angle, line it up like shown, bottom edge on the fabric edge and the 2 inch line on the fabric edge and cut.  Cut a 2 3/4 inch square for the center of the bow tie.


I tried every possible way of sewing this block together including sewing the 4 bias edges to the center square then sewing the Y seam. That works nice if you mark 1/4 inch from the edge for the stopping point. All those short seams and no way to chain piece.  I'm a speed demon on the sewing machine; this is my no marks, no pinning method and can be chain sewn so I can sew faster!!!!
First sew opposite sides to the center square  either the tie fabric or the background but always in pairs.  They can be chain sewn!!!
Press the seams to the center I tried pressing them out.  In worked better.
Line up the edges
Sew the seam.  I hold a pin where I can feel the seam.  Then stop!
Lift the foot, check the seam turn and pivot.  I slide my finger between the fabric to get the little kink out then put the foot down.
Line up the bias edge with the square edge, slide your finger between the fabrics to get the kink out and sew the seam, again feel for the seam with the pin.
Stop! Lift foot, check seam, turn and pivot, slide finger.
Line up the edges, put the foot down and sew.  Repeat with the next set of block parts. I can chain sew!!!

Repeat on the other side.  
Doesn't that look nice!?!   
I'm making progress but I need to cut some more I need some purples to transition the reds to the blues and there will be a lot or rearranging with these blocks.  Its a good day to sew.--Ann--

3 comments:

Ramona said...

Your bowties are beautiful. I like your technique of making the blocks. I'm going to have to remember this the next time I make bowties. It's rainy and chilly here today, too. I've been in my sewing room as well!

Judy S. said...

Great tutorial!

QuilterBee said...

This is by far the best bowtie tutorial I have ever seen, thank you so much posting it leaving it up!! Amie :)