Friday, February 19, 2016

On and Off the Needles and Reading


  The scarf is zauberball and I knit it into a shawl a couple years ago which was really fun to knit but I never used it so I ripped and can wear this with my brown dress coat.  The reading mitts are finished and my latest list of books:
  1. The Quilters Ghost by Jennifer  Chiaverini
  2. On a Snowy Night by Debbie Macomber
  3. Once Upon a Grind by Cleo Coyle
  4. The Girl With No Shadow by Joanne Harris continuation of the lives of the characters in Chocolat
  5. Sleeping Embers of an Ordinary Mind by Anne Charnock  three stories in three different  centuries, 15th century story talked about composition in painting a lot of things I had forgotten, the father of the girl, Antonia, was an innovator  with realistic perspective drawing. The main character in the other centuries were Toni and Toniah, painting and art were central to the other centuries but the stories fell short in weaving the three together and the book just ended and I'm thinking huh am I missing pages then I read the reviews from other readers.  The book fell short for them also.
  6. The Childern's Blizzard by David Laskin for book club  Much of the tragedy of 1888 happened in South Dakota because of the time of day that the blizzard hit. It was also a history and politics of weather forecasting.
  7. The Shoemaker's Wife  by Adriani Trigiani about Italian immigrants to America specifically to the iron range of Minnesota. very good story  I'll be reading more of her work.
  8. The Martian by Andy Weir I just about quit reading this book after a couple chapters but then people on earth got involved and the drama picked up; imagine that earthlings causing drama.  Darling daughter was home shortly after I finished reading The Martian and she had the movie on her laptop and being of the generation that grew up with computers she was able to play it on the desk top computer so I pulled out my office chair from my sewing room and we watched the movie in comfort and hot beverages.
  9. Brain on Fire My Month of Madness  by Susannah Cahalan  for book club,  a true story about a young woman with an inflammation in the brain and her journey to a diagnosis and recovery.
Our snow is almost gone here but far from spring like weather with lots of wind and finally a little sunshine.  I should dust since I can see it today.  Linking to Judy's OTN  --Ann--

2 comments:

Ramona said...

The scarf pattern looks great with your yarn. Love it! I'm going to have to check out some of your books.

Paula, the quilter said...

I really like the reading mitts.