Thursday, September 28, 2017

A much better day

 Hubby Dear let me buy the Bernina 530 which is a wonderful domestic sewing machine with just enough bells and whistles for my needs.  Above is how some of the stitches looked before the surge protector with battery back up.  Not so good  not all the outlets in my house have adequate power to run the machine to her potential.
 This is how the stitches look with full power.  Perfect even stitches.  After playing with the stitches just to see how they look I sewed a pair of pajamas for me from my stash of fabrics.  These interlock knits must be 30 years old,  I bought them when my boys were little and I was sewing little  t shirts and placket front shirts for them.
 As much as I love piecing quilts its fun to use some other stitches once in a while and play with the many different feet for the machine.  The blind hem foot was a whiz for hems and the waist band.  The stretch stitch with a ball point needle and the edging foot made the seams a breeze. And an overcast stitch to make the scalloped edge on the neck and sleeves. Practical application certainly helps the memory the next time I need to turn a hem.  Three mastery sewing classes were included with the purchase of the machine.  One more class on Friday.  I learned so much about the features of the machine and little bit of information that just make some sewing chores easy, super easy.  And a refresher course on choosing the right needle for the fabric and task.  Did you know the quilting needle is for piecing not quilting and you should use a larger needle for binding because you are going through more thicknesses of fabric and batting?  I had forgotten a lot of important information. The classes are on line  at sewingmastery.com taking them in person has been the best.  I hadn't sewn a knit for so long that I had forgotten how much I needed to pin to keep the seams from rolling.  You know my mantra with quilting is its not for 4-H 
but I was beginning to think it could be for 4-H
if I were a few decades younger because I was having so much fun and the inside was looking almost as good as the outside.  
Just enjoying the process.  --Ann--


No comments: