Monday, January 22, 2018

Out of the Cupboard



Scrappy Stars and hand appliqué   I made this quilt the late 1990's  it was a little project I started early in the summer with the intention of hand appliquéing one star a day.   That was a very manageable goal, I didn't do one every day but I did get them all sewn by the time kids were back in school and I mastered appliquéing peaks and valleys.  The stars, backgrounds and some of the sashing is from Merryvale packets that the local quilt guild was selling because at the time we did not have a quilt shop in the area.  I used a lot of scraps in the borders and around each star.  The sashing fabric is still a favorite of mine and I wish I had bought 6 yards of it instead of three.  It was such a great fabric to tie all the scraps together.  The continuity of it gives the eye a place to rest after viewing the variety of fabrics because no two stars or backgrounds are the same.  I free motion quilted on my domestic machine.  Pulling this out of the cupboard is like seeing an old friend.  --Ann--

1 comment:

Ramona said...

I love it, Ann. I didn't start quilting until 2002, right after my dad died. I needed something to do with my hands. When my girls were little, I made most of their clothes but didn't save any of the scraps, which were mostly 100% cotton, purchased from quilt shops. Now I could kick myself! Have a great week.