Thursday, January 25, 2018

Wool


 I pulled a couple boxes of wool fabrics from my closet last week.  Oh the memories that were in those boxes.  I sewed garments in my teens and twenties.  Wool was my fabric of choice in the 70's and 80's because South Dakota has long cold winters and wool keeps you warm and is stylish.  I miss those days.  These were outfits I made my last year in 4-H.  I made a short wool skirt the same as the trousers.  I liked the trousers and I liked the skirt but I never wore the jacket much.  I made it into jackets for Donald Duck dolls when my boys were small.  Some years ago, after children, when I realized I would never fit in these clothes again I tore some up to make a flying geese quilt.  My flock of geese was never large enough for a quilt so I made a couple vests and had fun wearing them a few years ago and the wools went back in the box.



 
Jacket from a green Irish wool my mother bought for me in 1977.  My Irish grandfather always told me how classy it looked on me.

 This is the year I'm going to make all those fabulous garments into quilts so I can enjoy the fabrics once again.  I have to think that way because deconstructing has been very difficult.  I go to my sewing room with the intention of cutting strips but rather than desecrate something I so lovingly made I find other things to do like tidy up, the sewing room was not meant to be tidy!

 
 Hubby and me the first year we were married.  Me in a Pendleton tweed. I remember I was just short of enough fabric for the slacks and vest so I cut a yoke for the vest, I had the width but not enough length for the vest.  Him in cotton and wranglers.   Me on the right with my Great Aunt Elsie from Ireland in 1982 she knit me a sweater back in the 60's when she came for a visit I loved that sweater and wore it to school a couple times a week.  I could wear it with my red skirt or my blue skirt or gray tweed skirt or my navy slacks or my other navy slacks.  It was like wearing a hug from Great Aunt Elsie.  memories --Ann--

1 comment:

Ramona said...

How nice that you have kept your clothing and are re-purposing it for today's use! I made most of my clothes while in high school, but didn't keep any of them. When you use your quilt, it will bring back great memories. :)