Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Everyday amusements





I have found a half dozen or so scrap books some my mother made as a child and some her mother made mostly of newspaper clippings but also brain teasers and puzzles the very same puzzles you find on social media. There are pages of bird illustrations with an article, she colored the birds with crayons or colored pencils.  The Easter picture she used water color.  I guess scrapbooking is what they did in the evening when they were listening to the radio and there were very few children's books available and who could afford them during the depression years.  Then I flip through the book and see the outline of her little foot and hand with the date and Mickey Mouse, she and Mickey were born the same year.  How do I toss something like that?!?

I remember when my mother was cleaning out grandma's house  and Mom saying many many times "this should have been thrown away years ago."  Did she do it??  No! I get too.  Or not.  Then I have to find a space for it.  Reminiscing --Ann--
P.S. I still have the scrapbook I made with my Grandma back in the early 60's and I will never throw it away.

3 comments:

Ramona said...

You are finding some real treasures from the vintage knitting and patterns to these wonderful scrapbooks. It will be so much fun to look through these scrapbooks with your grands!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

These are so pretty! Maybe if you don't have space to keep them, you can scan them so you have the images.

Nancy said...

This is such a treasure! I'm glad your mom kept it and that you're keeping it, too.
I remember, when I was very young, my mom encouraged and helped me cut out interesting illustrations from magazines which we pasted into a blank book. I still have one that my mom put together for, I think, one of my daughters. The one you have is wonderfully interesting and fun.
If you should ever decide to pass this one, perhaps these is some historical organization near where your mother was a child that would like to have it.