Friday, November 18, 2011

New Project Santa

Santa Claus is coming. Santa and Child pattern from Doggone Quilts.com
Its amazing how a little Christmas music gets my fingers working a little faster.

If you loved playing with paper dolls and puzzles you will love making a Doggone Quilts pattern. It is lots of tracing, cutting and fusing. It works best to trace a small part of the quilt at one time, like all of the cow then fuse to selected fabrics, cut, reassemble and fuse to the backing otherwise it is completely overwhelming keeping track of all those pieces.

I took a few liberties with the pattern and changed the bows so the tails were straight. My sky fabric had stars so I just cut one star and straightened the rays so they shine on the Christ Child.

 I used a Dutch Wax print that my mother bought me when my parents were in the Netherlands at least 15 years ago for the blanket around the baby.Every time I pulled this fabric out of the stash I puzzled over how to use it. To fussy cut it would waste so much fabric in any shape other than hexagons and to cut hexagons and sew them back together seemed redundant so there it sat. You can see I carefully cut the blanket parts from the edges so I wouldn't waste fabric. It was the logical choice for the border. I added a narrow accent strip of gold because it needed a little spacer. Now to machine quilt around all those little parts.

Happy Quilting,
Ann

No comments: