Monday, May 7, 2012

Design Wall Monday



I chose these fabrics based on Vickie's May color palate for Judy's May challenge on Design Wall Monday. The quilt was inspired by a quilt in an ad in Fons and Porters quilt magazine. It is a tri rec star with nine patches and double nine patches. I should have taken the time to sew a practice block but when I have been quilting for over 20 years who needs to do a practice block!?! Or at least checked my math. I cut my strips for the tri rec star 4 1/2 inches wide, I cut the strips for the nine patches 2 inches wide for a 4 1/2 inch block that would be a 4 1/2 inch finished block and my tri rec pieces will finish at 4 inches. I have to trim 1/2 inch off all my 9 patches to finish at 4 inches. I'm working with fat quarters from my stash so fabric is limited and old enough I'll never find the same fabric or that shade of green.
Happy trimmings,  Ann

8 comments:

Nann said...

The gold corners are a great touch -- they spice up the design. I'm partial to on-point settings. Nice work!

Kim said...

Yeah hate that math stuff.......this will be really cute when done...I'm using the rulers on my "Cathedral Stars" quilt by Bonnie Hunter.
So many quilts......so little time!

Happy Sewing

AnnieO said...

Oh, man--feel your pain as I have done the same thing by not making a test block. Love your plaids and hope all the trimming goes well.

marcella said...

Beautiful so far. Hope the trimming goes really fast for you!

Teresa F. said...

Your quilt is going along nicely.I can't wait to see it finished.

Lori said...

Very Very nice!! Love those colors! Chuckling at making a practice block--been there!

Bluebirds--send some my way! We have bluebird houses where I camp--once in a while I see one. Putting out a different feeder so we'll see what species come eat. I have to hang plenty high or the raccoons pull it down. Now its probably at the right height for the deer to feed.

Vicki H. said...

So pretty and the little nine patches set it all off so nicely. Hmmm, practice blocks, never heard of them! :)

cat in tassie said...

This is going to be a gorgeous quilt when it's done!