Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Legends and Leprechauns Ireland







I still love the stories of castles and giants and leprechauns.  I love the lush green landscapes. It is in my veins. When I was a little girl I used to beg my mother to see her slides of Ireland. She was an IFYE to Ireland in 1952 (international farm youth exchange). My parents were dating then, she met my dad's relatives and knew more of them when they got married than he did.
Dunluce Castle and view to the east and to the west. Giant's Causeway built by the giant Finn McCool in the days of giants, it goes all the way to Scotland.  And on a clear day you can see Scotland.  Scrabo Tower or "Tar" as Irish cousin pronounced it. It's on a 1937 poster for Disney's Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs.  Cattle grazing on what was once bleaching greens for the linen mills in the Roe Valley. As me great aunts and uncles used to say there is a wee leprechaun in bottom of every bottle.  ~~Ann~~

No comments: