Friday, November 1, 2013

On and off the needles

 Yippee Skippee I finished the blue green socks!!! the rib pattern is p1, k1, slip 1, k1, p1 and repeat then knit a row, easy pattern but on a solid it became tedious. But I'm done!!! as a reward........
 I started new socks with self striping yarn. Self striping yarn is so much fun with its own the built in incentive to knit to the next color. I'm knitting a basket weave pattern k3, p3, repeat 3 rows then knit a row and reverse p3,k3 etc.
Then there are the wretched camouflage socks for son with his large calves. I'm inserting a life line using the size 0 kneedles from blue green socks, I placed markers where I knit  increases, I will insert the needle all the way around then begin to slowly unravel and rewind and count the rows and hopefully I inserted the needles into the same row in both socks then I can begin knitting again with the size 2 needles. As I was thinking through this plan I finished my sweater. Knitting is so meditative I sort through a lot of things in my head while I am knitting and not just knitting problems.

I love the way it fits, I knit the garter row edging tight around the neck and bound off tight so I hope it holds its shape.  The neck down cardigan I knit last winter from a different pattern feels like it is falling off my shoulders. This on is just called Neckdown Cardigan for women from Knitting Pure and Simple  with more of a crew neck.The yarn is a grey Donegal tweed that darling son (with the large calves so I have to finish his socks next)  brought home from Ireland last summer and a variegated Mushishi tweed yarn. It will be like wearing a hug from him.
 Linking to Judy's On the Needles and be inspired. ~~Ann~~

7 comments:

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

Your cardigan looks great! I'm glad the fit turned out the way you hoped.

Judy D in WA said...

Good job finishing the tedious socks. I love self striping yarns for that same reason.
Your cardigan is fabulous and gorgeous with a great story to go with it.

Maggie said...

i love that sweater!

Lori said...

Lovely socks, and I love the sweater!

Unknown said...

Love all the knitty goodies. I am still a newbie sock knitter but I hope one of these days soon I can make more than just plain jane socks. I just still need my original pattern or I get lost starting at the heel. Might have to order that cardi book looks mighty interesting.

Judy S. said...

What a lot of great projects! Love the self-striping yarn for the socks, and I agree that kind of yarn keeps you knitting. Nice sweater, too!

Raewyn said...

Love the wool you have used in your cardigan. I've never knitted socks but they do look lots of fun to do.