Monday, August 15, 2016

Out of the cupboard




This is a quilt from my Grandma Elsie but I don't think she made it.  The only fabric my aunts recognized in it from clothes that they wore was the green stripe of the binding.  I'm guessing that Grandpa bought it at a farm auction in the late 20's or 30's and grandma replaced the binding to make it usable. Back in the days before box springs old quilts or blankets were placed under the mattress to protect it from the open bed springs, I think that is where the quilt was when Grandpa bought the bed and quilt.  I think someone  cut out a severely damaged section and sewed the good parts together so it could be used.  I love the indigo blues and the red and black 4 patches.  Wishing another old quilt had a label.  --Ann--

1 comment:

Vic in NH said...

Please make a label for it stating your Grampa's name and about when he bought it at a farm auction and tell who added the striped binding, too. It's a treasure!