Friday, April 28, 2017

On the Needles

I recently went searching for my stitch counter, it was a barrel shaped thing that fit around a knitting needle and had a dial to turn as each row was completed.  I never did find it and its just as well because it wouldn't be practical on cable needles.  I found the cute little stitch counter in a quilt shop it was hand made by somebody but I had a terrible time turning the numbers the thin little wheel was not firm enough to grip and turn so I turned to the internet because somewhere I had seen chain links with beads for counting rows which didn't make sense to me as to how it worked but I was curious.  Instead I found a link to the string chain. She explains it so well.   If you are numerically challenged like me it makes counting rows and keeping track of increases or decreases so easy.  I put one chain at the beginning of the row to count the rows between sleeve decreases and one at the end of the round to keep track of the number of decrease repeats I have done.  No more going back and looking for the decreases on the sleeve or trying to figure out how many rows I have knit.  I'm knitting non stop now not stopping to count rows.  I use it on mittens and gloves too so my fingers and thumbs are the same on both hands.  Happy knitting.  linking to Judy's OTN --Ann--

No comments: