Monday, June 10, 2019

Out of the Cupboard


 I've been working on my to do list while hubby is off fishing.  I seem to be doing the smallest but most noticeable projects first like change the quilts on the walls and hang a couple more.  I also ordered blog to print books of 2018 blogging.  After proofreading the previous year and wandering through memory lane I have never posted about this quilt.  Round Robin row quilt made with my quilt friends from Pierre in 1999.  Golly that's 20 years ago!!!  We each chose a theme and color scheme then passed our bags around the group for the next 6 months.  We didn't see our own again until the last rotation was complete.  Then we had 6 months to complete the top and preferably to complete the quilt.  My theme was Grandmothers Garden because my grandmothers and great grandmothers and mom were all gardeners and quilters.  Grandma Elsie always planted pansies by the back door. Grandma Selma took me out in the pasture to fly kites as did my great grandmother with my mother who took my kids out to the pasture to fly kites she also made some fabulous quilts in the 1930's.  Do kids fly kites any more?  When I have grandkids I am taking them out to fly kites!  The flowers in the pots are because my great grandmother made a quilt with similar flowers that was on my bed growing up.  My mother loved butterflies and completed a quilt that her mother started with butterflies and my mother found it when she was cleaning out her house.  That was such a wonderful thing to help her through the greiving process.  They all had tulips in the spring.  I sewed the morning glory tri rec stars and the ladies in the bottom row the dresses remind me of my grandmothers.  Its not old enough to be an heirloom but if I pass the stories to my kids it will be.        --Ann--
linking to Moving it Forward

5 comments:

Ramona said...

What a treasure! It's beautifully made and the stories make it so special.

Rebecca Grace said...

Ann, I'm intrigued by your Blog to Print books! That sounds like a wonderful idea. Can you tell me more about how you do this, where you order them or whatever? Not only do I document my quilting projects on my blog, but I'm finding more and more that my husband and I enjoy going back and reading the family posts that I wrote about the kids 10 years ago (can't believe I've been blogging that long!). I've wondered about the possibility that Google and Blogger might come crashing down someday or become obsolete and all of the content I've written and posted would be lost.

Susie H said...

Fabulous trip down Memory Lane for you with this quilt. Enjoy your "Only Me" time!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

This is lovely, it has definitely stood the test of time; a classic! Those kite tails are simply precious!! I, too, did a "pass it around" round robin quilt at that same time. I will have to post about mine too. Mine was a "border" robin as opposed to your "row" format. Nice!!

em's scrapbag said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful quilt with Moving it Forward!