Wednesday, March 11, 2020

more enchanted yarn or maybe its the bigger needles

 I saw this yarn over a year ago, the pattern is written for cuff down socks which I do not do.  I am strictly a toe up two at a time sock knitter but the yarn had the magic  sticker  SALE. So I thought for that price if the colors don't line up in dots thats ok I tried.  The directions explain how to get the right gauge so the colors in the yarn stack up to make spots.  Use needles 2.0-2.75mm  I started with 2.0 on the toes and used some of the yellow waste yarn because I will be knitting a gusset and might need the extra yarn.  The pink, turquoise, pink, and blue rows are to get the gauge right so I pulled out yarn to those colors and knit with 2.0 mm needles too tight so I changed to 2.5mm needles. Pretty close, the next size larger needle will leave a gap.  Each color should be 1 row.  That little stripe segment should be at the cuff. But then there is going to be a bright blue section for the gusset and maybe a yellow heel.  Then the turquoise and spots for the leg.  And they are turning out to be more spot than dot. They are knitting really fast on 2.5mm needles.
So much for enchanted yarn.......I goofed so had to rip.  They were too short in the foot, these are for DD who has slightly larger feet than I do and they were short on my foot.  I ripped half way back in the gusset then re knit with 2 rows between increase rows.   So far so good and when I am done with the second heel I should be able to get them back on the cable needle and knit 2 at a time again.  The snow is almost gone.  --Ann--



2 comments:

Judy S. said...

I've been doing some ripping here, too. That is pretty yarn! I've done a few toe-up socks but prefer cuff down, because of that crazy cast-on for t.u. Hope you're having a good week. It's pretty crazy here because of the corona virus.

Beth in NH said...

What about starting the yarn from the other end? That may work. If you can get it they will be amazing!