Thursday, March 6, 2014

Biscuit Quilt



I always enjoy magazine articles that show 1st quilts and last most recent quilts made by quilt designers. They started out like most of us who started quilting in the 1980's with a sampler or log cabin quilt. This is my very first quilt made from polyester double knits and biscuits, it was a 4-H project from the 70's. (photos taken last fall) The biscuits were 4 1/2 or 5 inch squares sewn together and turned I can't remember if a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch seam was used then they were stuffed with a nylon sock or the leg from panty hose. The opening was stitched shut then after a hundred or so biscuits were made, they were sewn into strips using invisible nylon thread with the serpentine stitch on the sewing machine. Then the long strips of biscuits were sewn together into one very heavy quilt. Scroll down to Tuesdays post to match the biscuit to the outfit. No garment was destroyed in the making of this quilt all the biscuits were sewn from the scraps. However the garments are long since gone.--Ann--

3 comments:

Judy S. said...

I have one polyester quilt made by myu step-mom, and you're right, it's really heavy, too.

Kathleen said...

I've never seen a Bisquit Quilt before. I scrolled down and looked at your lovely daughter wearing the outfits. Fascintaing post, I enjoyed reading it :-)

Unknown said...

Simply beautiful well done, I have mad a couple but never thought to put a dimple in the middle of each Puff