Monday, March 31, 2014

Design wall Monday

 We had two days in a row of spring weather. Sunday morning I took sons dog for a walk and I could smell  spring, the air was moist and the ground had thawed it smelled like fresh earth, I even saw some tiny blades of green grass. There were robins in the field and kildeers were swooping near the ground with their shrill cries. Geese and cranes were in scattered threads across the sky. I wondered if they were in a hurry to get out of the way of the coming snowstorm. The geese honk, the cranes chatter what do they say? How far do they fly in a day? It was spring on the prairie. Today is 30 degrees cooler with strong winds and snow still to come.
The last stitches are in the Star Bright Quilt it just needs a warm soak then a tumble and fluff. I always pre wash baby quilts so the new mom won't be afraid to use the quilt. Do you like the polka dot binding?


 As I was refolding my stack of brights I found these beach umbrella blocks that I started a decade or two ago. I am clueless as to the original plan so I stuck them on the wall for a visual break from machine quilting the winding ways / wheel of mystery/ Afterimage quilt come back tomorrow to see progress on Afterimage. Isn't that how the best ideas come? when you are doing something else. So as my arms tire from moving all that quilt under the needle I jump up and rearrange beach umbrella blocks and dig further in my stash for turquoise blue fabrics. The color and designs on the bottom fabrics say water and waves and they are batiks. Friday I got my new issue of  BH&G AP&Q it has an article about mixing fabrics; its okay to mix prints and batiks. Thank you quilt police. I was going to do it even without your permission. My matra this year is use it. Check out Patchworktimes and Stitch by Stitch and be inspired. --Ann--

5 comments:

Lesley said...

Your Star Bright quilt is stunning...what a beautiful gift! Glad you found your umbrella blocks...they are so sweet....hope to see them finished someday!

Judy S. said...

That looks like it was an incrediblely difficult quilt. Nice work! Love those umbrella blocks; glad to see you working with them.

monique's mess said...

I love the use of fabric in your bright star quilt.. it gives the feeling of movement and motion and makes the piecing look really intricate and draws focus to several different lines

Ramona said...

Oh I LOVE your baby quilt. The polka dot binding is perfect! The umbrella blocks are fun, and, YES... mix fabrics.

Dar said...

Your Star Bright baby quilt is so fun. I love the polka dot binding. Some little person will love receiving that! Those umbrellas are looking great on those blue backgrounds. Keep going.