Monday, March 24, 2014

Off the wall

 Friday was onto the frame for pin basting. Saturday was under the needle for free motion machine quilting with swirls and hooks and echos. Sunday was prepping the binding and sewing  it by machine and now I'm ready to curl up like a cat in the sun and sew the binding by hand the black polka dots with black thread I need all the light I can get.
Last week I went to Pierre for an eye appointment, the pressure in my eyes is good, then met a friend for lunch we caught up on each others lives and how we were quilting from our stashes and only buying fabric if we needed it to finish a quilt. I had this quilt top in the car its just kinda awkward to show a quilt in a restaurant even though the lunch crowd had long gone by the time we were done. So we went to the quilt shop to unfold my quilt, I needed some turquoise for the corners, its not a match to the diamonds or center triangles but it pulls the quilt together. I bought the turquoise and the polka dots for binding since all my black and whites were fat quarters then we both broke our rule and bought more fabric just because it was there.

 Both of us being farm girls we couldn't resist the barns, I'm going to fussy cut the barns and sew log cabin strips around. I'm in bright fabric mode so I bought some stripes for borders and bindings. It was a great day I've had a productive weekend now I can curl up in the sun and hand stitch the binding. Check out and be inspired by all the quilts at Patchworktimes Design Wall Monday.  Happy stitching--Ann--linking to FMQ



11 comments:

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

LOVE your quilt and the quilting is beautiful! I have that stripe fabric with the polka dots!! Is that what you are using for binding? Can't wait to see what it looks like!!

Jeanne in Ohio said...

Wowser!! I love your quilt and the bright colors. Did you use a pattern or make it up as you went?

Judy S. said...

Happpy stitching! Love the quilt and its binding!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty quilt and I love the barn fabric too. Sometimes you just have to buy a fabric because..... I am the same with lighting and black thread!

Lesley said...

Your quilt is fantabulous!

Gari in AL said...

My, what a beautiful quilt. It looks like something one would cozy up in on a cold, dark winter night. And yet it is bright as summer. Just great!!

Ramona said...

Your quilt top turned out Beautifully! Just gorgeous. And the binding is perfect. The barn fabric is too cute, too.

Linda Wulf Koenig said...

Wow, this is stunning! And what a great border--I never would have imagined how well that would go with all those colors. Good eye!!

DaniQuilts said...

This is gorgeous!!!! WOW!

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Just beautiful Ann! Wow...

Gwyned Trefethen said...

The quilt is fabulous. Just as fabulous is hanging out with a good quilting friend and treating yourself to a little fabric indulgence.