Wednesday, April 11, 2018

one more story

I finished sewing the long strips with my mother's old Elna and I think I will set it aside and keep it for speed sewing.  This pattern is from an old Fons and Porter book from 1995 American Country Scrap Quilts back before they got into selling kits and lines of fabrics.  Its 2 inch strips sewn in pairs then cut into triangles with a 60 degree angle.  I'm sewing them together as pin wheels but I can see lots of other possibilities but to do the tumbling blocks I need to plan the values of the fabrics, the optical illusion of the tumbling blocks is very confusing but fun.

One more story about my Elna. When the boys were in grade school and home computers were becoming common the oldest boy though we needed one.  We were living in a small house and the boys shared a room that was about 8 x 9 feet and baby daughter was sharing space in my sewing room until she got to the point where she couldn't sleep while I sewed.  I moved my machine to a corner of the dining room/ kitchen.  I asked the boys where we could put a computer because we really did not have a good spot for it.  They suggested it go where my sewing machine was.  Hubby said I would get rid of them before I got rid of my sewing machine.  They looked at me.  I said not really but close.  I was open minded about the computer so when we went to the library I let them have some computer time because I really didn’t know what they could do with a computer.  The librarian opened up a game called Oregon Trail, first they had to name all the characters, they named them after us. Then we headed west and one mishap after another we were attacked, robbed, injured etc then baby sister died. The boys were both in tears when we left and we didn't get a computer for a couple more years, by then we were in a bigger house with a built in desk in the perfect spot for a computer and I had a room just for sewing.

Getting ready for another snowstorm here  --Ann--
Linking to Off The Wall Friday

2 comments:

Judy S. said...

i remember that Oregon Trail game, too. Love those pinwheels!

Ramona said...

What a great story! And your blocks are lovely, too.