Tuesday, April 10, 2018

sewing machine


Last week I finished reading  The Sewing Machine by Natalie Fergie a good story for those of us who are emotionally attached to our sewing machines.  The story starts at the Singer sewing machine factory in Scotland and the young woman who tests the machines.  The story is told through her and the women who owned one of the machines she tested.  It was a delightful story about something dear to my heart.
Later in the week I pulled a coil of 2 inch strips out of the stash all set for the next quilt and whether it was nostalgia or my need for speed I set up my old Elna who can run 1200 perfect stitches per minute.  And when I have 80 some width of fabric strips to sew in pairs I like speed.  It was the speed more than nostalgia.  I got about 10 pairs sewn and my speedy hum turned into a whoosh and the needle stopped.  I was told the last couple times I had it serviced that the bushings or brushes or something that makes the needle go up and down were getting worn and replacement parts are hard to find.  I may have completely worn her out.  Forty some years of sewing garments, lingerie, jeans, doll clothes, crafts and quilts and more quilts with no harsh words.  She was the best machine ever.  --Ann--


2 comments:

Ramona said...

It’s hard to say goodbye to old friends. Your blocks sure are fun! I’m going to look for the book you mentioned. Thanks!

Judy S. said...

Sorry about your machine, but it sounds like it served you well. That is a such a fun block in your first photo; what is it called?