Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Out of the Cupboard -- 30's quilt

Quilts just like people need to get out and move to get the kinks out. This feathered star quilt was made by my maternal grandmother eighty some years ago. Sometimes when I glance at it when I get it out to stretch, the yellow completely over powers the feathered stars. The quilt fits a double bed and was never used much it is almost like new.

I have always been in awe of her tiny tiny stitches. All of her quilts have wool batting and are thick and heavy and oh so warm.


I am also amazed at the way the edges are finished. It is hemmed by turning the top and back into the quilt and stitched with a tiny running stitch, the batting is right up to the edge of the hem. And it is straight.
Connecting to my roots---Ann

2 comments:

Auntie Em said...

Wow! What a wonderful quilting legacy you have, and such beatiful, tiny stitches!

Pattilou said...

I love hand quilted quilts. My aunt could quilt around me lickety split and her stitches were always small. This quilt is just beautiful!