Friday, January 25, 2013

on and off the needles

 Opal socks are finished #2 for 2013!!!!!! Delivering them to college girl this weekend.
 Morning coffee socks, I only work on these with my morning coffee, they are a sport weight yarn 50/50 of merino wool and bamboo. Deliciously soft. The pattern is in Wendy D. Johnson's book Socks from the Toe Up.
I'm brave, I'm trying a sweater, a neck down raglan sleeve. so far so good just knit a row with yarn overs at the sleeve then purl back. We'll see if it is still so smooth when I get to the under arm. The yarn is a DK weight tweed.
 I have a soft spot for tweeds. My gramma made a  skirt for me from a pair of my grampa's wool tweed trousers. He died when I was 5. The skirt was pleated with a waistband and suspenders and a trim that they bought in Sweden in the 1950's. I wore the skirt until the suspenders were too short then my mother took them off and probably moved the hook and let down the hem. She let the hem down a couple times because I remember it being very narrow with seam tape and being very upset that it couldn't be made longer even though that would have been the beginning of the mini skirt era. It was my absolute most favorite skirt. Tactile things bring back memories. --Ann-- Lots of knitting at Judy's on the needles.

8 comments:

sklinn62 said...

Beautiful socks!! I want to try a sweater. Have already bought the yarn, just haven't gotten brave enough to try it yet. What pattern are you using?

straythreads said...

Thanks The pattern is Neck Down Summer Cardigan from Knitting Pure & Simple, I got the pattern through Patternfish. I'm going to make long sleeves instead of short.
Ann

heyitskarla said...

I'm also making a sweater using a Knitting Pure & Simple pattern, but I can't remember the pattern name. It's my first sweater, too.

stitchin' girl said...

Such nice socks. I'm sure your daughter is going to love them.

What a great idea to knit with your morning coffee. I think I will be doing this tomorrow morning instead of surfing the web!

Good luck on your sweater. I will be looking forward to seeing your progress.

Diane Wagner said...

Your projects look great. Love your morning coffee socks!

Mary said...

Love your opal socks. Love the color of your sweater.

Judy S. said...

Knitting P and S seems to have really nice patterns. Your sweater is going to be very nice. Love the socks and I bet your college gal did, too!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I love my Opal socks - they can survive the accidental "warm" wash. Remind her not to put them in the dryer though!!! My DH felted a pair of my favorite boot socks this winter (different wool though). Good luck with your sweater, my sister gave me a pattern book of yoke down sweaters and told me that I could manage one - I am thinking about it! Cheers! Evelyn