Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Tuesday books

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet: A NovelIt's a great day to read or knit or quilt with 4 or 5 inches of fresh snow. The plan is to do a little of each today.
 I recently finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford.  The story is about  the Chinese and Japanese Americans living on the West Coast and goes back and forth between present day and the 1940's. Many of the events really happened, places in the book are real and some still exist today. Delightful story, I don't want to spoil any of the surprises for you.
I'm a fan of Debbie Macomber and check out  her books on kindle from the library, last one was 204 Rosewood Lane, so many of her of her kindle books have a long waiting list and in my search for an available book I came across her non fiction books. Knit Together, I couldn't resist the title of that one, which lead me to God's Guest List and Patterns of Grace, these are inspirational, they tell about her struggles with her faith and struggles as a writer and handling success. God's Guest List is about people who influence our lives. She really makes me stop and think about who changed the course of my life and how I influence others.
In that spirit thank you to Rea for getting me started quilting 20 some years ago, thank you Emilia for reteaching me to knit with the yarn on my left finger, and my Dad for throwing the book Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier at me one Christmas vacation during college and learning to read for the fun of it.
This was a great idea Judy at PatchworkTimes to see what others read and now to start another "to do" list of books.  Blessings and Gratitude --Ann--



2 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Thanks so much, I am adding these recommendations to my list today, what a great idea!

Judy D in AZ said...

I have that one on my night stand. Hope to start it soon. A friend recommended it after I lent her

How to be an American housewife
by Dilloway, Margaret.