Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Sewing Machine Woes

 Last week I finished machine quilting all those quilts posted the past couple weeks.  After each quilt I sewed the binding with my Bernina and the walking foot.  I always use the walking foot for binding because then you don't get the stretch marks, I hate stretch marks especially on my clothes and quilt bindings and thighs.  Anyway the Bernina was making a lot of noise to the point where I was thinking about a new machine.    I went into the shop with the pretense of just getting some thread,  I had to linger over the machines.  Hubby Dear the Scottsman suggested I have it looked it after he saw the sale tags.   So another trip to Sioux Falls this time with my machine which I left for 11 long days.........they found a needle fragment in  the bobbin casing.  In the mean time I sewed the final binding on the last quilt with my old Elna SU which I have had for 40 years almost to the day.  I bought it at the South Dakota State Fair in 1977 the year before we got married because I knew he would never let me spend that much money on a sewing machine.  I think she was about $600. She has had a squeak but the squeak has turned into a screech like brakes on a car in need of replacing.  I'm taking her down to Sioux Falls when I pick up the Bernina.  I was without a sewing machine over the weekend so I couldn't do any piecing and my pile of quilts was all quilted so I couldn't machine quilt.  Then I thought go get Mom's old Elna super it's only been sitting the last 15 years fortunately it was under a dust cover.  She groaned at first so I oiled the red dots then I took apart the bobbin case lint was packed in like felt and I oiled it a little more to loosen up her joints and gears.  She's five years older than mine and I don't think my mother had her serviced as often as I did.  She's not purring like a kitten but she works and she is going to go to the shop too for a tune up just in case mine is past repair.  In the words of John Wayne in True Grit when he was eulogizing his dying horse "She never gave me a reason to cuss."  --Ann--

1 comment:

Ramona said...

I hate being without my sewing machine and have just one that I use. I do have my old Kenmore and really need to get that cleaned and usable. It hasn't been sewn on in about 13 years. You will be ready to really sew when you have all of your machines home!