Wednesday, May 30, 2018

more machine quilting

I'm on a roll with machine quilting...........power sewing! even though I have the machine set at a little over half speed and that is still really fast.  I had a comment asking me to draw out the free motion quilting design that I so frequently do on scrap quilts and here it is.  I usually start in one corner with a tear drop and then go around it a bit bigger then another tear drop and around it again or maybe a third time depending on where I want to go next and I just meander out from the corner then work my way back and forth across the quilt diagonally until I reach the opposite corner.  Sometimes if I have a wide border I do a feather in the border but since this has a narrow border I'm treating it all the same.  The drawing is on an 18 x 24 inch sheet of paper.  I drew with my arm instead of my fingers and wrist.  To practice you could use a sheet of newspaper and a felt pen.  When I machine quilt which I do sitting down at a Sweet 16 machine I am using my big arm muscles to move the quilt, my left forearm is resting on the quilt helping me move the quilt in big arcs and I wear the good rubberized garden gloves.  I have done a queen size quilt on my domestic machine but the 16 inches of throat space makes it so much easier.  --Ann--

2 comments:

Judy S. said...

Wow, another beauty!

Ramona said...

Thank you so much, Ann! I will be practicing your quilting design for sure. Your latest finish is a beauty for sure. You are on a roll! Thank you for your visit and comment to my blog. :)