Monday, January 7, 2019

Gansey Sweater finish

The sweater is finished except for weaving in the ends and blocking.  The fit is snug, more snug than I thought it would be I want to use the word snugger but it doesn't sound right in my head like funner which is common usage now.  The yarn is also a little itchy in the arms and neck because it fits so snug.  The garter stitch band at the bottom flips up every time I sit so I have to flip it down when I stand.  The yarn is 100% peruvian wool from Cascade yarn 220 sport.  The pattern was in Beth Brown-Reinsel's book knitting ganseys. The book and instructions were very good I'm just not sure I like it or if I should rip and start again with something a little roomier and then I probably don't have enough yarn.
Things I learned since starting this sweater:
    • Yarn is easier to pack and move than fabric and books
    • no matter how much I sort and toss I still have too much stuff  but its really good stuff!!!
    • I can adjust if I want too  I don't always want too.
    • I learned how to knit a sleeve gusset and a neck gusset 
    • and a saddle shoulder even though this sweater did not have a saddle shoulder
    • It’s easier to knit sleeves that match if I don’t knit a bunch of other stuff between finishing the first sleeve and starting the second. And there was Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years in-between.
    • according to the insurance ad on TV the average person moves 11 times in a lifetime, I've moved 12 and thats not counting all the college moves.  I'm above average!
    • I like knitting top down sweaters more than bottom up because I can try it on and make adjustments.
The rest of the Christmas decorations come down today.  --Ann--

2 comments:

Judy S. said...

Looks good to me although I wish the pattern stitches were more visible. (Maybe it's just my computer though?)

Rose said...

I like it, too. I don't knit or crochet...sometimes I wish I did but then I need another hobby about like I need another hole in my head.

I loved reading your list of statements...I have way too much stuff, too. It is mostly all good. What is more, you would be amazed at how much I have gotten rid of.