Monday, January 14, 2019

speed sewing

In my search last week for missing blocks I found some bags with cut strips for this quilt.  Half my work was already done so just cut the strips into triangles using the easy angle and the companion angle my two favorite cutting rulers.  Then cut a few more strips from fabrics in the stash and start sewing.  The pattern is in The Quilter's Kitchen by Darlene Zimmerman and Joy Hoffman and probably out of print because I think I made this quilt the first time in 1999.  The strips were 2 1/2 inches and 4 3/4 inches wide.
 
The orientation of the half square triangle is important so line them up and sew a strip of 4 and a strip of 3 and add the end triangle.  Easy enough  well for the directionally challenged like me not always so easy  some times the long strip was for the right side and sometimes for the left side and then the end triangle was at the wrong angle.






























Then I had an aha moment!!!!!

sew them in sets of three and the sets of three are reversible for the light and dark orientation
then sew to the large triangle with a HST at the top point of the triangle

See how I need a right side and a left
kinda like the candy bar even though there is no difference in the candy bar














To sew the end triangles I pair up the sets to make light or dark geese in the center and sew accordingly

Now I'm speed sewing !!!
 try and stop me
--Ann--




2 comments:

Ramona said...

I love those "Ah-ha" moments! Your blocks are great... love the design. It's fun to find a project half finished!

Auntie Em said...

Love these! Glad you found a system that works.